If you ask most people which tree nut they think it the healthiest to consume, most people would probably answer almonds. Guess what? Research has found that walnuts are actually the healthiest tree nut around. With unarguable benefits for the cardiovascular system, anti-inflammatory nutrients present, cancer fighting properties and a tendency to reduce problems with Metabolic Syndrome and decrease abdominal adipose (fat depositing around the middle,) why not eat your 7 walnuts or 14 walnut halves per day.
Since nuts are high in healthy fats, they are also high in calories, so maintaining portion control is important. However, don’t let the fear of ingesting fat keep you from enjoying the health benefits walnuts can provide.
In this recipe, the walnuts top banana slices lightly browned with grated coconut and topped with dark chocolate hazelnut butter. There is a good dose of non-meat protein included on this plate, and when coupled with the healthy fat in the nuts, it means you will stay satisfied and energized for hours after eating this decadent looking meal. Whether you choose to have it for breakfast before your workout or active, hectic day begins, or split it with some friends for dessert, know that this sweet treat is far healthier than most grain-based diet snacks. So don’t feel guilty. Indulge once in a while!
1 banana, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
1/4 cup all-natural chocolate hazelnut butter (I use Justin’s brand)
1 tbsp. coconut
1/4 cup almond pieces
powdered cinnamon (to taste)
1 tsp. coconut oil
1. Slice the banana into 1/2 inch thick slices.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
3. Place the banana slices in the skillet. Brown lightly on each side (no more than 1 minute per side.)
4. Remove the banana slices and drain on a paper towel.
5. Add the coconut to the same skillet and stir it around until lightly toasted.
6. Arrange the banana slices on a plate. Cover each slice with a thin layer of almond hazelnut butter.
7. Sprinkle the walnut pieces and coconut over the banana slices.
8. Sprinkle the ground cinnamon over the entire dish.