There are just some times when I really want corn muffins for breakfast or as an accompaniment to chili. Not the dry and crumbly kind, but moist muffins with fresh ingredients inside. Here is a recipe that uses organic corn meal and gluten free baking mix to achieve a moist, tasty result. Yes, they really are gluten-free, but you won’t taste that fact. These corn muffins are the perfect pairing for our gluten-free Four Bean Chili with Vegetarian Options.
(Makes 12 muffins)
2 ounce unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sweet onions, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
¼ jalapeño pepper, finely diced
½ cup fresh non-GMO corn, or 1/2 cup frozen non-GMO corn, thawed
1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, finely chopped
3/4 cup organic blue cornmeal such as Arrowhead Mills (organic yellow cornmeal may have GMO cross-contamination)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, gluten free blend
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon organic sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1. Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
2. Grease a 12-slot muffin pan with coconut oil or use muffin cups.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Use an electric mixer on medium speed until the butter is thoroughly mixed into the batter. The corn, onions, jalapeños and cilantro should remain intact.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins slots and bake for 12-18 minutes or until set.
5. Serve as desired and enjoy!
Note: Place unused muffins in a plastic zip bag in the refrigerator. They will keep for 2-3 days.