Breakfast burritos call to me, stuffed with eggs and rice and beans and papas (potatoes), onions and bacon or chorizo. I ignore their pleas. I don’t eat them because all of those tasty and comforting foods together will lead to a carb fest that will keep my blood sugar on a ride better than any coaster at Six Flags.
I have to admit it, I get jealous when I occasionally take my (naturally thin) mom out for breakfast at a restaurant that serves skillet meals. She can eat it all while I order half a grapefruit, some egg whites and tea. I kept wondering, sometimes aloud, “How can I make a scrumptious skillet breakfast that will be the envy of those everything-eating people like my mother?”
Here’s what I did: I started with some true free-range brown eggs (Happy Eggs) and added Organic Girl baby spinach, mushrooms, sliced onions, garlic, sliced red peppers, and a bit of diced mango and pineapple. I added some browned thin-sliced extra firm tofu that is non-GMO project certified. I cooked it up quickly in my cast-iron skillet, and served it with Udi’s Fiesta variety gluten-free tortillas. The taste was delightful – a cross between a breakfast burrito and pineapple fried rice – at least that’s what I thought – and I happen to love pineapple fried rice like nobody’s business!
As always, you can put your personal touch on this recipe by adding different vegetables, fruits or using egg whites. I love being creative in the kitchen and I encourage you to do the same. If you crave a Mexican style burrito, trade the tofu for a little Soyrizo (soy chorizo) which is also a non-GMO project certified product. You can also opt to skip the gluten-free tortilla and eat the scramble with some fresh salsa. Make this dish your style of healthy, please.
(Serves 3 or makes 6 burritos)
6 free range brown eggs (we use Happy Eggs)
2 cups baby spinach (we use Organic Girl)
3/4 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
10 grape tomatoes
1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/4 mango, chopped into small pieces
1-2 chunks pineapple, chopped into small pieces
1/2 package extra firm Non-GMO Project Certified tofu
coconut oil and/or organic butter for frying
pink Himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste (optional – I never add salt to my cooking)
1. Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in a non-stick skillet. Slice extra-firm tofu into long, thin slices. Saute the tofu over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.
2. In a cast iron skillet, melt 2 teaspoons coconut oil or organic butter. Add the mushrooms and onions and saute until caramelized (3-5 minutes.)
3. Add the grape tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, mango and pineapple. saute fro an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the baby spinach and cilantro. Saute until wilted, approximately one minute.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat well with a fork or whisk. Adding a splash of water will help the eggs to scramble fluffier.
6. Pour the eggs into the skillet and stir to combine. Continue to stir until the eggs set.
7. Serve while still steaming with warm gluten-free tortillas such as Udi’s Fiesta tortillas (optional) or a fresh salsa.
8. If you like, roll the scramble in a tortilla to make a breakfast burrito. Place 2-3 tablespoons of scramble about one third of the way inside of the tortilla, fold the ends in, and roll tightly. Enjoy!