Go ahead, dig out your blue suede shoes, grab your pup that ain’t nothin’ but a hound dog, and gyrate your way down to the breakfast table because you’re hungry and have I got a treat for you. Now, you may be familiar with Elvis Presley’s purported penchant for peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwiches, and you may even attribute the cause of his untimely death partially to poor eating habits, but in reality, Elvis was on to something flavorful. No wonder he’s smiling.
My version of the Elvis sandwich leaves out the butter, the bacon, the honey and replaces the white bread with Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Sesame Bread. Of course, if you are going gluten-free, use the GF bread of your choice. Instead of peanut butter, I used all-natural Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, which is so outrageously delicious in my mouth that it makes me sing Love Me Tender every time I open the jar . I kept the banana, but sorry Elvis, I sliced it differently. I ate this open-faced sandwich 4 hours ago, and I haven’t even thought about making lunch yet.
2 slices Ezekiel 4:9 or other sprouted, organic or gluten-free bread of your choice
2 tbsp. all-natural chocolate hazelnut spread (or less, depending how thick you spread it)
1 banana, sliced into rounds
ground cinnamon sprinkled on top of the banana slices
ground flax seed sprinkled on top of the banana slices
fresh berries for garnish
dried mint leaves for garnish
1. Toast bread slices to your preferred darkness
2. Spread chocolate almond butter on each slice of the bread
3. Slice the banana and place the slices on top of the bread
4. Sprinkle the banana slices with ground cinnamon and ground flax seed (for easier digestion and better nutrient absorption)
5. Add fresh berries or sliced fruit to your plate, and sprinkle with dried mint leaves
6. Add some baby spinach or other baby greens. Use the greens to scoop up the sliced fruit.
7. Sing your favorite Elvis song with your mouth closed, of course.
Makes 1 serving.