A perfectly simple salad that captures the bright hues of Autumn, this carrot and green mango salad also offers a satisfying blend of textures and flavors.
(Makes 2 large or 4 small salads)
2 cups mesclun mix
1 cup baby spinach
2 organic carrots, peeled into long strips
1 green mango, peeled into strips
1 tbsp. sunflower kernels
1 pinch clover sprouts to top each salad
1. Wash and peel the outer layer of the carrots. With a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots into long strips.
2. Peel the outer skin of the mango. With a vegetable peeler, peel the mango into strips. The mango strips will be wider than the carrot strips.
3. In a large salad bowl, toss the greens. Add the carrot strips, mango strips and sunflower kernels and toss once more.
4. Using salad tongs, place the salad in the bowls you will serve from. Add a large pinch of clover sprouts or another variety of sprouts to the center of the salad.
5. Top with your favorite dressing and enjoy!
Note: Feel free to add more greens! Loading up on greens is a great way to get your nutrients. Add some fresh herbs such as dill, basil, chives or mint to wake up your taste buds even more.
For weight loss, try making a dressing out of 1/2 cup clam juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup rice vinegar. If you want to add a healthy fat to give your dressing a bit more body and flavor, blend 1/2 avocado into your dressing.
For an even wider variety of flavor, add some sliced or roasted beets.